Qualities for Backcountry Companions

ppine

Forester
When you go on a rigorous trip in the outdoors, like say a week long river trip, long backpacking trip or a hunting trip, what qualities do you look for in your companions? What qualities are essential? Which qualities can you overlook and still consider them as a candidate? I find that being selective really adds to a good trip. What do you think?

Grandpa

Thou Shalt not Whine

I can put up with most people that have a positive attitude and are ready to do their share.

DThewanderer

I agree, I refuse to take high maintenance people and whiners on long trips like that. Heck, I don't even like them on short trips. I won't take lazy people either.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Must be willing to carry my pack when I'm tired.

Must insist on sharing their food or snacks with me.

Must be willing to make camp and put up a good campfire.

Must stay awake nights to guard camp.

Must demand they clean up the campsite area upon breaking camp.

dinosaur

troublemaker
The only thing necessary for me is that my companions have a high regard for me as I do them. Everything else will work itself out. I don't think I should have to accept resume's for a camping trip.

Lorax

I'm not picky.
Someone who can think on their feet. Someone with at least a little back country knowledge. Someone who can adapt to changing scenarios like rough weather. A good sense of humor is a must.

ppine

Forester
Lorax,

You summed it up. I would add the ability to affect a rescue in an emergency, someone you trust.

I have rarely if ever been in a tight spot because of a mistake by a companion. That relates to Lorax's comment about competence.

Last edited:

Judy Ann

I don't have time for learning curves so I need to be with "experts" who don't mind going a little slower and teaching me technical aspects of survival and how to have fun. I have learned so much from people that excelled in their interests and that has made the journey more rewarding. For example, I am certain that I would not find the precise location of a spring where it first surfaces, but drinking that water is so much more satisfying!

Last edited:

IndianaHiker

Look for people that don't whine and can shut the heck up and enjoy some quiet time. Don't get me wrong nothing wrong with some good conversation but it doesn't need to be nonstop. I will take that over experience or skills any day.

ChadTower

Depends on the trip, really. I don't depend on anyone for much so socially I need someone who can deal with me not talking for any given length of time. Also, someone who can also STFU for extended periods. And someone who is also self sufficient because I don't go out to teach other adults. Kids, sure, but adults can do for themselves or choose another companion. I'm not going to ask you to cook for me or carry my stuff and I'm not going to do it for you. Really, other than when I'm with my sons, I go out to get away from having to spend my life doing things for people who won't do them for themselves.

Lamebeaver

A person who knows when to keep quiet.

A person who says things like "I only packed two cases of beer. Do think that will be enough for both of us?"

or

"you go ahead and keep fishing, I'll go back to camp, chop some firewood and cook dinner."