Two Eskimos

jason

fear no beer
The loaded mini-van pulled into the only remaining campsite. Four children leaped from the vehicle and began feverishly unloading gear and setting up the tent. The boys rushed to gather firewood, while the girls and their mother set up the camp stove and cooking utensils.

A nearby camper marveled to the youngsters’ father, “That, sir, is some display of teamwork.”

The father replied, “I have a system — no one goes to the bathroom until the camp is set up.”

jason

fear no beer
A woman goes into Wal-mart to buy a rod and reel. She doesn't know which one to get, so she just grabs one and goes over to the register. There is a Wal-mart associate standing there with dark glasses on. She asks, "Excuse me sir. Can you tell me anything about this rod and reel?"

He says, "Ma'am I'm blind, but if you drop it on the counter I can tell you everything you need to know about it from the sound that it makes." She didn't believe him, but dropped it all on the counter anyway.

He said "That's a 6' graphite rod with Zebco 202 reel and 10 lb. test line. It's a good all around rod and reel, and it's $20." She says, "That's amazing that you can tell all that just by the sound of it dropping on the counter. I think it's what I'm looking for, so I'll take it."

He walks behind the counter to the register. And in the meantime, the woman farts. At first she is embarrassed, but then realizes that there is no way he could tell it was she. Being blind, he wouldn't know that she was the only person around.

He rings up the sale and says, "That will be $25.50."

She says, "But didn't you say it was $20?"

He says, "Yes ma'am, the rod and reel is $20, the duck call is $3, and the catfish stink bait is $2.50!"

Grandpa

Reminds me of a trip when the kids were small. Grandma wrapped a chicken up in about three layers of foil, all seasoned up. We put that chicken on the manifold of the old Mercury wagon and away we went. Two hours up the road, even Col Sanders would have been impressed at how well that chicken tasted.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Perhaps because the guy in the monkey suit has walked that clear path several times in rehearsing this ...
Funny how people have such a hard time believing in the possibility of an undiscovered primate species, yet every few miles there is a building with a lower case T on top, where people go to telepathically communicate with a cosmic Jewish zombie so he will remove a curse from them, put there by a rib woman who ate a magic apple when told to by a talking snake, so they will live forever in spirit form.

Bigfoot doesn't seem so far fetched now, does he?

wvbreamfisherman

Funny how people have such a hard time believing in the possibility of an undiscovered primate species, yet every few miles there is a building with a lower case T on top, where people go to telepathically communicate with a cosmic Jewish zombie so he will remove a curse from them, put there by a rib woman who ate a magic apple when told to by a talking snake, so they will live forever in spirit form.

Bigfoot doesn't seem so far fetched now, does he?
I just think it's pretty amazing that in a land where we managed to nearly wipe out the buffalo, hunt wolves to near-extinction in many areas, and where thousands and thousands of people venture every year with high-powered rifles, that there is not at least one stuffed, mounted and verified bigfoot corpse. Not a skeleton, not a bit of hair or fur that can be genetically sequenced...wonder why?

Of course, in both cases, you can say absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Oh and BTW you don't have to go into one of those buildings to communicate with the person you mention. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

ChadTower

I just think it's pretty amazing that in a land where we managed to nearly wipe out the buffalo, hunt wolves to near-extinction in many areas, and where thousands and thousands of people venture every year with high-powered rifles, that there is not at least one stuffed, mounted and verified bigfoot corpse. Not a skeleton, not a bit of hair or fur that can be genetically sequenced...wonder why?

Of course, in both cases, you can say absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Oh and BTW you don't have to go into one of those buildings to communicate with the person you mention. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

To play devil's advocate here...

...how many times in your life have you come across a dead deer or moose in the woods? A dead wolf? Coyote? Given the sheer volume of animals in a large forest that floor should be littered with corpses. It isn't. Nature is efficient in reclaiming resources. Scavengers are all over a body for the meat followed by rodents for the bones/antlers. Even in winter, when the weather slows the process down, you still barely ever find anything dead other than squirrels and small birds.

wvbreamfisherman

Well, deer, several times. No moose in WV, so that's no surprise. Smaller animals numerous times. I've found plenty of fur and feathers, although a lot of that ends up in bird's nests.

Still doesn't explain why no ventilated corpses, only bad movies and stills.

ChadTower

Several times in how many outings? Probably not very often when you consider how many deer die every year. And given that so many of them drop antlers every year you would think we would find them now and again. That's even pretty rare where I grew up where the deer far outnumber the people.

Most of the stories come out of the Alaska/Western Canada region It takes hours to fly over that area and it's all untouched dense forest. There must be millions of acres that never see a person on foot and have complete tree coverage from the air.

People used to consider the giant squids from old sea tales a myth too until modern technology found them.

wvbreamfisherman

Several times in how many outings? Probably not very often when you consider how many deer die every year. And given that so many of them drop antlers every year you would think we would find them now and again. That's even pretty rare where I grew up where the deer far outnumber the people.

Most of the stories come out of the Alaska/Western Canada region It takes hours to fly over that area and it's all untouched dense forest. There must be millions of acres that never see a person on foot and have complete tree coverage from the air.

People used to consider the giant squids from old sea tales a myth too until modern technology found them.
Ah, but there was at least physical evidence of giant squids in terms of long stretches of tentacles found here and there.

Second, I'd venture to say that there are at least 100x people venturing into the area you mention with rifles to hunt then there are people stooging around with a camera that just magically happen to shoot a few badly focused and shaky seconds of bigfoot....

Last edited:

ChadTower

I don't believe any of the video clips are real. I agree with you on that. Not even Les Stroud lugs a camera setup that far into the forest.

I don't completely discount a whole lot of old trapper stories, either. Native culture has legends that say similar things. Usually when there are multiple cultures in the same area with similar legends/stories there is a grain of truth underneath them.

wvbreamfisherman

There are lots of legends about Wendigos and other creatures. I suspect at some point they had an origin either in a cautionary tale from a Shaman, or an exaggerated explantion of why I came running back to camp whimpering like a little kid.

Similar with mermaids and other "mythical" creatures. Most of the stories start something like "I knew this guy who saw..."

steves

A woman is having an affair during the day while her husband is at work. Her 9 year old son comes home unexpectedly, sees them and hides in the bedroom closet to watch. The woman's husband also comes home so she puts her lover in the closet not realizing that her son is hiding in there.

The little boy says ''It's dark in here''
The man replies ''Yes, it is''
Boy - "I have a baseball."
Man - "That's nice."
Boy - "Want to buy it?"
Man - "No, thanks."
Boy - "My dad's outside."
Man - "OK, how much?"
Boy - "$250"

In the next few weeks, it happens again that the boy and the lover are in the closet together once again.
Boy - "Dark in here."
Man - "Yes, it is."
Boy - "I have a baseball glove."
The lover remembering the last time, asks the boy,
"How much?"
Boy - "$750"
Man - "Fine."

A few days later, the father says to the boy, "Grab
your glove, let's go outside and have a game of catch."
The boy says, "I can't, I sold my baseball and my glove."
The father asks, "How much did you sell them for?"
Boy - "$1,000"
The father says, "That's terrible to overcharge your friends like
that... that is way more than those two things cost. I'm going to take you to church and make you confess."
They go to the church and the father makes the little boy sit in the confession booth and he closes the door.
The boy says, "Dark in here."
The priest says, "Don't start that **** again!''

ChadTower

Similar with mermaids and other "mythical" creatures. Most of the stories start something like "I knew this guy who saw..."

Heh, yeah, but it's a little bit more understandable that lonely sailors might say "I saw a beautiful woman" than for a lonely hiker to say "I saw an eight foot hairy man".

:D

Grandpa

Heyyy, I'm from out in the sticks where we just don't have more than one facility. Use it or go out back. How am I supposed to know this stuff?